mask

Un-Masked... unveiling a collage for The Mask Project

Last fall I was invited to create artwork to contribute to The Mask Project, an auction to benefit Denver Hospice. Once I agreed, I received my “canvas,” -- a cold-looking, almost life-sized, white plaster mask.Mask upon arrival at my studio.The raw mask sat in the studio looking blankly at me for quite awhile before I had time to begin working on it. I’d wondered how well papers would adhere on the curved surfaces but my wet working process allowed them to flow with and adapt to the shape, attaching well. Granted, I was working with fairly thin papers and small pieces and I’m sure that helped. It was fun to work on a different kind of support and to respond to the facial features in my own whimsical way.mask work in progressThe mask, “Foundling,” will be on display as part of an exhibit in the Kaiser Permanente Grand Court of Cherry Creek Shopping Center in Denver, Colorado from September 12 through October 25, 2016. A number of masks from celebrities and artists are available for viewing and auction. Online bidding on the masks begins September 12 — view (or perhaps bid on!) mine here. Bidding ends October 9.My mask comes with an added premium item: a $150 Gift Certificate for Ophelia's Electric Soapbox, an amazing restaurant / bar / performance venue. Thanks, Ophelia's!Final mask for Denver Hospice’s The Mask Project, “Foundling,” by Janice McDonald.

Halloween: boo-tifully creative monster masks


Partyheads
Let me preface this post by saying that we live in a neighborhood that takes Halloween VERY seriously... On a typical Halloween we will have 300-400 costumed kids stopping by between 5:30 and 7:30pm, the official end of trick-or-treating. (After which, the adults on our block usually have a party!)

Thought it would be fun to show you the extra-large monster masks that Jim and I made way back in 2003...

I notice that the book we used as a papier/cloth-mache construction reference, Simple Screamer by Dan Reeder, is now out of print. It's a good instruction manual for such a project, if you can find a copy. (Note that I designed my mask to accommodate potential eating/drinking while Jim opted for architecturally ornamental teeth! To each his own.)

Construction of the masks took several evenings, plus quite a bit of drying time, not to mention more time for details like making and baking clay teeth, then painting the masks. It was a great, fun, messy project! Hard to believe we were doing all this in our teeny-tiny kitchen (a truly amazing auxiliary creative space)! I think I'd better go up to the attic and pull them out for an encore appearance this year...

Here are some of the stages... double click to see more details. And here's to a wildly creative Halloween!

Papier Mache Teeth Paint Jpl Jlm